While some of you may prefer to stop for breastfeeding breaks while out and about, it is perfectly possible to breastfeed while on the go!
- Be aware of your rights
- It’s entirely legal to breastfeed anywhere in public in the UK (and in the rest of Europe and the US).
- In the UK a breastfeeding parent does not have to cover herself or go to breastfeeding specific places.
- It is illegal for a breastfeeding woman to be asked to leave a cafe / shop under the Equality Act 2010.
2. Breastfeeding friendly clothes
- You don’t need to spend loads of money on specially designed breastfeeding clothes (unless you find them helpful of course).
- Instead just wear a comfortable loose t-shirt that is easy to pull up!
3. Breastfeed in a sling
- Breastfeeding in a sling can be a great way to feed without having to stop.
- Loosen the straps of the sling, position your breast so that your baby is able to feed, and once your baby is feeding you can adjust the straps again until you’re both comfortable.
- Some women like the privacy that a sling offers as your chest will be covered.
It is also perfectly possible and acceptable to breastfeed holding your baby while walking – some women find it uncomfortable but others do it without thinking!